Thursday, March 19, 2009

Body Oder or Blasphemy?

Alright check this out. I went to Walmart not much cash in hand.
I though "Man I really need to buy some deodorant". NOT that I was rank. Just a friendly reminder that I was running low. I turn with purpose and marched through the pharmaceutical, through the cosmetics, then to the pet food. "BAH! I went to far". Back through the cosmetics. AND "AH". The angels sang a sweet ode to anti "ode"er. The isle was filled top to bottom side to side with bottles of deodorant. They had every brand, every scent, they even had unscented. If that wasn't too specific? they even offered 6 different consistencies, dry, gel, liquid, spray... I was pleased. But then my pleasure turned to anxiety. Did you know deodorant on average cost 4-7 dollars. WHAT? I KNOW!
Okay so now I'm appalled by the price. I decided to narrow down my choices by price. That wasn't too hard considering there was only one section under 2 dollars. I reach for the first one and stop. I stare at it. I reach again. then Stop. I hung my head. The cap read something like this " For all those OMG moments". Are you kidding me. The only one under 2 bucks and it has blasphemy on it. "idiot". Now I was desperate, I continued to search for something under 3 bucks. My choices two more types. I read the names and descriptions. After my 10 Commandments experience with the first. the names on the other were....lets just say... i would never say it out loud. :(
Then I became brand bias. I was not going to support potty mouths.
But there was no choices left..... I stood there alone in the isle....compromise or smell....compromise or smell. After twiddling and frantic stares for what seem like 20 mins.
Then HOPE. I middle aged guy come strolling around the corner. I shout "excuse me sir! Can I ask you a question?" He hesitated ....looked around...and said yes with a nervous stutter.
"If you were morally apposed to what something said but you needed it. I gestured to the bottles. Would you compromise....?" He raised his head and said "even if it cost you everything, never compromise."
All those who stayed strong or are staying strong in the faith, not compromising even though it cost them everything. .... and here I am.

3 comments:

MrsEvenSo... said...

Wow! That's incredible. If that wasn't a God moment designed specifically for you in that moment I don't know what is. Thanks for sharing.

Craver Vii said...

My first visit to the "Soapbox" and your post is about deodorant. How funny! I'm glad you didn't cave, Squirl.

JoyfullyHis said...

I switched brands too. Boy am I glad I'm not the only one who spends way too much time in the deodorant aisle! Our favorite quote from Backyardigans. "This doth stinketh!"
But at least we are steadfast. ;)
Miss you.